17 Nov 2007

Seaweed around the high tide mark

Above: egg wrack (Ascophyllum nodosum)sharing a high-water sandstone boulder with limpets (Patella sp.) and barnacles (Cirripedia - Charles Darwin loved 'em).
The egg wrack is interspersed with saw wrack (Fucus serratus) and green algae which I haven't yet managed to identify. (Ok. I've lost my beach field guide, an no, Googling it just isn't the same. This is damp knees, on the beach, field guide stuff.)Context: the sandstone boulders on which these seaweeds live. They're high up the beach and spend a lot of time exposed when the tide falls (I'll do precise timings one day) and must be pretty resistant to dehydration.

2 comments:

Elke said...

The same thing is always happening to David Attenborough, I understand...great photos!

Cliff Thornton said...

The green algae on the stones at the top of the shore is Enteromorpha.